My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I HAVE 5 KID10 GRANDKIDS,2 DOGS,1 and 2 LOUD PARAKEETS. I MISS THE 60'S AND THE 70'S,LOVE TO TAKE PICTURES OF MY FAMILY,,THEY ARE SO BURNED OUT ON ME AND MY CAMERA. ITS SUCH A RELIEF WHEN MY BATTERIES GO DEAD.My dream is to run away and work in a little book store in Ireland and live in a little stone cottage with a few cats and watch the sea.

Thursday, August 07, 2008

Did I Make A Mistake? Yup, I Think So

No matter what I plan my days are never my own. What I would not give to be able to just be home alone and work. Someone always calls me with something. Not even one day this week was mine to have and to hold. I have to try to get my work done at night. I was folding laundry at midnight last night. I had let things go to the point that Joe wore dirty clothes to work yesterday. Pretty bad. Yesterday when I picked up Cady from work she sounded terrible. She was running a fever and since Joe was out of town she slept with me. She had today off so I thought I would give us both a treat and turn off all the phones and sleep in. Sleep we did. It was late when I got up. I have not slept much a the last few weeks and it was such a needed rest. She was feeling better and we had plans ( I am not allowed to have those and I shoulda known) to hit the small mall for school clothes and shoes. Before we even got to the shower a knock on the front door took it all away. A boy who used to live near us several years ago. A boy whose mom was a bad drug addict. I know the life he had and it was pretty sad. I used to take him and his sister clothes and food. Dad came and took kids away and mom eventually got it together and kids came back. Cady used to have a crush on him and it was never anything I felt good about. Anyhow, he shows up at my door today, Asked for Cady who was still asleep. I acted like I didn't know him and told him she was in fact asleep. And that's when that damn little voice told me to call him back. Bring him inside. When he saw my bible on the coffee table he perked up and started talking to me about God. About the Bible. He ran away from mom last night as he felt she was back on drugs. He was staying with people who he thinks she is getting drugs from. He begged to move in with us. I have never really gone into my boys teen years but suffice it to say that I will never do teen age boys again. We have no extra rooms and I do not know him really. He was pitiful for sure. We fed him and prayed with him. He cried and told me his confusing tale. I told him I would take him to my church and talk to the pastor who is a really great guy and my dear friend. He was up for this but still wanted to move in. He was in his truck that was about out of gas. Guess who gave him 20.00 for gas and then waited for 2 hours for him to return so we could go to town to drop his truck at his moms. The truck isn't legal and he needed to park it. Well, Cady and I waited around till we could see he was not going to come back. A few weeks ago my dogs had to eat popcorn for dinner the night before payday. Owning your own home means your savings gets eaten up in repairs. Especially an old house. So, I feel okay about giving him the money because today I could afford it. In my heart I thought I was helping. He said he was having headaches from giving up smoking weed last week. I suppose he got rid of his headache after he left my house. The thing that bothers me is that I know he will be back. I was an easy mark. I know I will be dealing with him again. Pastor Rick gave me a few of his cards tonight and I will hand him one and tell him to give Rick a call. Something about this has left me feeling very nerved out and I don't know what. I just feel creeped out. His stories of why his grandparents would not take him in made little sense but I ignored that and I should not have. After all these years I am still a sucker and didn't learn a thing.

4 Comments:

Blogger Peggy said...

I would have done the same thing. But now you know you tried and can give him the pastors card when he comes back.

3:53 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

Mistakes happen. You can't beat yourself up for trying to help someone.

9:11 AM  
Blogger debi said...

Peggy and Erica, Thank you. I just came home from taking Cady to work. I dug out Joes big lock and put it on the tow chain on the front gate. Nobody can get to my door today.I hope to cook and clean all day. Yippy!

11:45 AM  
Blogger Lost A Sock said...

You're such a good hearted person, Debi. It doesn't matter what he did after leaving your house, the fact of the matter is you tried to do something good for him.

Good call on the lock, though. You deserve a day of quiet!

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home