My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I HAVE 5 KID10 GRANDKIDS,2 DOGS,1 and 2 LOUD PARAKEETS. I MISS THE 60'S AND THE 70'S,LOVE TO TAKE PICTURES OF MY FAMILY,,THEY ARE SO BURNED OUT ON ME AND MY CAMERA. ITS SUCH A RELIEF WHEN MY BATTERIES GO DEAD.My dream is to run away and work in a little book store in Ireland and live in a little stone cottage with a few cats and watch the sea.

Friday, July 04, 2008

Run For Cover


It's my least favorite holiday. July 4th. I have never been thrilled about things on fire being shot into the atmosphere. Had too many near misses in the past. Since we live in the country I can never go to any yard parties. I must stay home with hoses and buckets of water and a trusty shovel just in case. If the neighbors set our big old cottonwood trees on fire we could lose everything. I have spent the evening reading "The Shipping News". It's hard to read when it sound like a war zone all around me. I went for a short while to the fire house for the picnic there. I knew nobody and even though I tried to make small talk, the women there and I were clearly from different worlds. They looked at me but did not speak. I felt like I was in Dog Patch. I made friends with a young guy who also looked out of place. He came with his room mate. He had a sad story to tell and I very quickly wanted to be his mom. We exchanged phone numbers and Joe will try to find him work. He is new here and very alone. Monday his girlfriend and new baby will arrive. He has yet to meet his baby girl. I have given up checking on Joes poor ducks who are running crazy all over the back yard. There is no escape from the fireworks coming at us from all directions. We are rated in extreem fire danger right now and why in the world they allow people to sell fireworks is a mystery. It is illegal to shoot them but not to buy or sell them. Go figure. I could call the sherriff but it would make no difference. They are busy beyond what they can handle anyhow. My husband is a fireman. If a fire starts here I will be doing the lone bucket brigade. My husband is putting out fires elsewhere. lol. Think I'll have a beer. Have a happy guys!

3 Comments:

Blogger Peggy said...

Not only were our neighbors trying to set the woods on fire with their fireworks, they were scaring the goats. I spent my 4th trying to calm goats that were positive someone was shooting at them. I was so lucky they didn't break through the fence. My husband is in CA so I was on my own also. I finished my patrol with a nice glass of wine. Happy 4th! LOL

11:30 PM  
Blogger Biddie said...

Ugh. We had the same thing on the 1st here. Our moron neighbours were setting off fireworks on the ROAD, blocking traffic and almost setting our yard on fire.
You know, there should some sort of intelligence test for people dealing with any sort of fire.
Just saying.
LOL. You are reading The Shipping News again? I will have to find you another book to read. Something else that will make you fall in love with My Province :)
Hugs xx

11:21 AM  
Blogger CrystalChick said...

We went to see our towns fireworks and the colors are nice but generally the booming makes me uneasy and there was an accident years ago nearby so that comes to mind.
The blog community is very good for friendships. We're pretty non-judgemental and can always find stuff to talk about.
Stay around here and don't worry about those who don't get you locally.

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home