My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I HAVE 5 KID10 GRANDKIDS,2 DOGS,1 and 2 LOUD PARAKEETS. I MISS THE 60'S AND THE 70'S,LOVE TO TAKE PICTURES OF MY FAMILY,,THEY ARE SO BURNED OUT ON ME AND MY CAMERA. ITS SUCH A RELIEF WHEN MY BATTERIES GO DEAD.My dream is to run away and work in a little book store in Ireland and live in a little stone cottage with a few cats and watch the sea.

Friday, December 12, 2008

So Sad


I have not posted in a while. I don't know if anyone even comes here anymore. I am feeling like the words have to be pulled from my gut. First let me say I feel bad for the post all about my back and all my other complaints. I wasn't sure if I should go there but then decided I would. My brother got angry with me and told me I sounded like Grandma. I was so relieved that it wasn't all in my head. Guess I just didn't need to give some much info. So I am sorry about that. Next is something that has been eating at my heart since last Sunday night. I debated putting it out there for all to see. But you are my friends. You have helped me in ways you cannot know. So here goes, Sunday night Cady (my barely 18 yr old daughter) handed me a piece of paper. It was from a walk-in clinic. I read on it that the pregnancy test they performed had come up positive. I read it again because I wasn't sure what I had read. Then looking up at Cady, I dropped the paper on the floor and left the room. I sat alone in the dark of my bedroom and just stared into the darkness. My Moma died in 1982 and not since then have I cried that kind of cry. Joe was in his office on his computer and unaware that our lives had just been changed forever and without our having any input into the matter. All her dreams of college and even graduating next year are now going to be a struggle at best. Boyfriend will not even be 18 till Feb. His biggest goal in life is driving around with his brothers car club on the week-ends in his crappy car with gas bought by his mom. They are a poor family and have more than they can handle already. So this will be our baby. Cady just doesn't get it. That night I called Sara (daughter # 2, 21 yrs old) and asked her to please come get me. She asked me if Cady had told me the news. Before she arrived I had told Cady she would be telling her dad. I wasn't gonna be the one to break his heart,. But in the end I just walked in and asked him if he would pray for us. I never said for what. He held my hands and said a very sweet prayer and somehow it had all the right words in it. When he finished I blurted out the words no parent wants to hear. Sara came and it was then that Cady went in to her dad and as she cried she hugged his neck and said "dad I am sorry". I left the house until way late when I could finally stop crying. I know we will all love this baby but today I am not feeling that. I feel so sad at the loss of the life she could have had. The struggle it will be just to get her through the rest of this year and next. I could teach her a lesson and make her see why it is that I cry about this everyday. I could not help. But that really isn't an option. In the end boyfriend cannot be counted on to help. I really give him little or no thought at all. She was talking so much about after she was out of high school and could get a job and her own place or a room mate and go to college. Now she will be here at home with her mom and dad trying to juggle school and a baby. If she were a very motivated person it would be different. She is a very young 18. She has been protected and not out in the world. I have to remind her to do everything. I now have to stop and let her learn how to handle her life. I took her to the library and checked out 8 books on pregnancy and birth. She is reading them. And if you think she is at all upset about this, no she is not. So many times this week I wanted to knock her head off. I have 5 kids and 8 grandkids. Maybe I am selfish but I was through having babies. I love being a grandma. I took care of my oldest grandson for 8 months when he was about 2. Heather's life went into the toilet for a while. She got herself together and is the best mom I know. I took care of Gage while my son and his wife( Joey and Jessie) worked for almost 3 years. The hard part of that is feeling like he is mine. he still wants to be here with grampa all the time and we miss him so much it hurts. He lives only 2 miles away. My kids all take care of their kids and Joe and I babysit now and then. The other times the kids are just here cuz we want them to be. I just can't believe that I our lives took this turn and now here we are. So, I could go on and on but I shouldn't. Like I said, certainly we will love this baby and welcome it into our family. Everyone is already saving cribs and clothes. But for right now, I grieve.

9 Comments:

Blogger Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Oh Debi,
I cannot imagine the pain you are feeling. As a parent we always want the VERY best for our children, and it's hard when they don't go down the path we plan. I know that you know that God is in control and is taking care of Cady, that baby and the rest of your family. Please keep us posted on how you all are doing! We're praying for a safe, easy pregnancy for Cady and a healthy, happy baby.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Biddie said...

Wow.

I am not sure what to say.
I was 18 when I announced that I was expecting KC, and at the time, it felt like no big deal. I mean, I knew that my life would change,, but I really had no idea how much.
After reading your blog, I think that I know how my Dad felt when I told him.
I wish that I could hug you tight, but all I can do is send you one long distance.
I will keep Cady in my prayers and thoughts. I am going to try to call you this weekend, ok? You can call me whenever you need an ear.
Biddie xx

9:22 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

Debi,
You and your lovely Cady are in my thoughts and prayers. As for Cady's future plans, perhaps this is a huge detour, but she may get to those personal dreams someday too. In the meantime, take of yourself.

1:09 AM  
Blogger Jane said...

Debi,

My daughter is 10 going on 18. I'm divorced and my son has Asperger's; both have been very hard on her and I see now that she retreats to her room way too much to escape her pain. I was upset the other night because I found myself worrying about the trouble she can get in to in a few years and how I long to stay connected with her. She's a bit too wise and sophisticated for her years.

I've got 8 more years to go with my daughter but I still feel your pain. God puts every situation in our paths for a reason. I really believe this.

I also want to address your feelings about your blogging recently. I've been struggling with the same thing. Lately, I wonder if anyone is even reading my posts; it feels way too quiet out there in blog world. Don't ever apologize for your words. Part of the beauty of this community is that we can put out there whatever is in our hearts no matter how heavy or light.

Much love to you...
Jane

8:36 AM  
Blogger Arc said...

It often turns out to be that what initially brings the most tears.
Is a source of deep joy over the years.

9:36 AM  
Blogger debi said...

Thank you, all of you. I need to write a new post soon. I am moving past the sad and on to happier times. Joe was out of town and Cady came in and asked to sleep with me last night. We snuggled and talked until she fell asleep. She's my baby.

4:22 PM  
Blogger Biddie said...

I tried to call you last night. I was worried about you. I'm soo happy to hear that you and Cady are still close. Give her a hug for me. Thinking of you,
Biddie `

7:53 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

Debi, You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. As a young mother, I know how difficult it can be, but in the end she will be a better person because of this. I was in college and had only dated my (now) husband for 6 months when I found out I was pregnant. I did finish school, and will not lie, it was the hardest thing (at the time) that I had ever done. She will make it, and she is lucky to have you. Also, I think it is perfectly normal to feel grief, anger and sadness over this...eventually it will be replaced by love and happiness. It sounds like it already is. Good luck.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Peggy said...

Debi,
I was your daughter 38 years ago. I did marry my boyfriend at the age of 17. Because my mother was so sure I would never graduate or amount to anything I was determined to show her. I walked across that stage on graduation day big as a house but I graduated. It took me 8 years to get a 4 year degree because I went on and had 2 more daughters but I graduated college. We had some really really rough times and most of the time I was on my own with 3 small daughters. My husband died while the girls were young so I had to work even harder to provide for them. What I am saying is be there for her. She made a mistake and she knows it. She really needs your love, forgiveness and understanding more than anything. I know it hurts but we know as moms our hearts are hurt alot by our children. Wrap your arms around your daughter tell her you love her and together as a family you all will get through the rough times. You will have a wonderful blessing in a few months and take it from me. When that baby arrives your daughter will grow up right before your eyes. Hugs my friend and I am here for you.

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home