My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I HAVE 5 KID10 GRANDKIDS,2 DOGS,1 and 2 LOUD PARAKEETS. I MISS THE 60'S AND THE 70'S,LOVE TO TAKE PICTURES OF MY FAMILY,,THEY ARE SO BURNED OUT ON ME AND MY CAMERA. ITS SUCH A RELIEF WHEN MY BATTERIES GO DEAD.My dream is to run away and work in a little book store in Ireland and live in a little stone cottage with a few cats and watch the sea.

Saturday, October 28, 2006

IN THE OLD DAYS


LITTLE ORPHANT ANNIE'S come to our house to stay,
An' wash the cups an'saucers up, an' brush the crumbs away,
An' shoo the chickens off the porch, an' dust the hearth an'
sweep.
An'make the fire, an' bake the bread, an' earn her board and keep;
An'all us other children, when the supper-things is done,
We sit around the kitchen fire an'has the mostest fun,
A-list'nin to the witch tales 'at Annie tells about,
An' the gobble-uns 'at gits you
Ef you
Don't
Watch
out!
BY James Whitcomb Riley (1849-1916)

2 Comments:

Blogger gawilli said...

O the Raggedy Man! He works fer Pa;
An' he's the goodest man ever you saw!
He comes to our house every day,
An' waters the horses, an' feeds 'em hay;
An' he opens the shed an' we all ist laugh
When he drives out our little old wobble-ly calf;
An' nen ef our hired girl says he can
He milks the cow fer 'Lizabuth Ann.
Ain't he a' awful good Raggedy Man?
Raggedy! Raggedy! Raggedy Man!

James Whitcomb Riley is a Hoosier! We are very proud of him. Raggedy Man was one of my mom's favorite poems. If I close my eyes and listen very quietly I can hear here saying this poem to me. What a nice memory you have found!

7:09 PM  
Blogger debi said...

I love Raggedy Man. Thats the first time I ever read it. Think I will look up his work. What a wonderful style he had. The reason I knew Little Orphant Annie is because my Mom loved it and taught it to me when I was small. What I posted is only a small bit of the entire poem. I love that we enjoy the same things!

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home