My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I HAVE 5 KID10 GRANDKIDS,2 DOGS,1 and 2 LOUD PARAKEETS. I MISS THE 60'S AND THE 70'S,LOVE TO TAKE PICTURES OF MY FAMILY,,THEY ARE SO BURNED OUT ON ME AND MY CAMERA. ITS SUCH A RELIEF WHEN MY BATTERIES GO DEAD.My dream is to run away and work in a little book store in Ireland and live in a little stone cottage with a few cats and watch the sea.

Monday, November 06, 2006

When Ducks Attack

Since last Friday there have been a few cool things I would have blogged if there had been pictures to accompany them. Joe called me Fri. morning and wanted me to call around and find a vet that would help him with a baby raccoon. Cady works for a vet. All they said was to call animal control.Hell no. They just kill everything. Poor little guy had been stuck in a cat-trap for 4 or 5 days. Called Fish and Game. Got a big lecture on what a bad idea it is to try to keep a wild animal and also illegal. We didn't want to keep the raccoon for the love of Mike. Joe gave it water and it perked up. He thought he would turn it loose.Raccoon went down hill and fast. Told Joe he was not bringing it home so I could cry over it. He promised he would not. Next phone call is Joe telling me to call vet tech again and ask one more time for help. Sweet girl this time,told me get some gatoraide or honey water down Rocky's(yes,now I have named him) throat. Needs electrolytes.Call Joe back and tell him,he tells me to make a bottle of the honey water and hand it out the back door to him because he is here. I did as he asked but never saw Rocky. Joe wrapped him in a towel and fed him the bottle and walked him around the yard and by the creek. Looked like he was making a comeback and then he died. Even if my batteries were charged up I would not have posted a pic of this.
Yesterday after church Joe had to go back to work and do some painting. Comes a knock on my front door. I open it to the sounds of much quacking. There stands a man holding a wire cage with ducks bulging out between the bars.A very nice man. Seems he offered my husband a flock or a gaggle or a gang (whatever)of ducks, and being Joe, he couldn't pass up that offer. Oh hell no. Who could? We already have 2 ducks that I think are cute but pains in the butt. They refuse to eat duck food. They will only eat catfood. It gets expensive. Thank God these new ducks eat actual duckfeed. This morning I heard alot of quacking and yacking and went out to find a duck gang fight. Had to get the hose out after them. They loved it and stopped trying to kill poor Ravi-(nother name)duck for a moment. Called Joe and told him his ducks were attacking. Shit,they had this poor slob by the throat. Cady was home "sick" today. She made the sacrifice to get into the yuck and mud and separate the mean ducks. All is well in duckville now.
Not long after, my new "wood guy" brought us a cord of wood. Seems as he was driving up the road to my house, he ran into his brother who was on his way up the canyon to ride his horse. So his brother followed him to my house and unloaded his beautiful paint pony. He let him munch all the grass along our fence that Joe had not found time to cut. Seemed like a nice enough man.Regardless, it was best to pass on his offer to come riding with him. Joe would have loved that. NOT. Besides, with the weight I have put on in the last 3 years it seemed a bit cruel.

1 Comments:

Blogger gawilli said...

Great stories full of emotion! You really should get in the WWC. You would love it. It's pretty thought provoking, and anyway - you like taking pictures. Right?

Poor Rocky. We had a family of them in our chimney, back in the day. My mom got a "have a heart" trap and hauled them off - all seven of them, one at a time.

I didn't realize ducks were mean like that - chickens I have seen, but not ducks.

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home