My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I HAVE 5 KID10 GRANDKIDS,2 DOGS,1 and 2 LOUD PARAKEETS. I MISS THE 60'S AND THE 70'S,LOVE TO TAKE PICTURES OF MY FAMILY,,THEY ARE SO BURNED OUT ON ME AND MY CAMERA. ITS SUCH A RELIEF WHEN MY BATTERIES GO DEAD.My dream is to run away and work in a little book store in Ireland and live in a little stone cottage with a few cats and watch the sea.

Friday, May 25, 2007

Why I Love New Mexico


Tonight I am alone. Joe working and Cady spending the night with a friend. No responsibilities. What to do? Something different. Not laundry for me. Decided I would get a bottle of wine. Ran to the only little market we have. On the way back(approx 1 mile) I turned the "other " way and took the long way home. The long way home involves driving up the canyon and making a sharp turn at the old dried up creek bed. Somehow the powers that be killed the creek about 5 yrs ago. This night as I approached the sharp turn, I just kept going. There's a storm brewing. It's almost sunset. Wind blowing and the wonderful smell of sage is in the air and it's heaven. I know where I have to go. I have to drive up the canyon till I can see the old La Luz Pottery. It's over 100 yrs old. When I was a teen it was the site of some sort of gathering of the tribes. Hippie tribes. My friends and I all hung out here in La Luz. We were all tripping on acid(yes,I was one of those kids) We walked up the canyon early in the moring and talked our way unto the property. They had a large dome set up. People were weaving and painting and some were cooking, some teaching others yoga. There was alot to see. It was beautiful. We all dream of buying the old place. My friends and I. It's still inhabited. The Pottery can be seen as you drive up the canyon and you gotta look fast if you are the driver or you will become airborne. It's about half a mile away on the side of a hill. I looked and drove to a turn around. With Steve Miller playing "Your Saving Grace" as loud as possible I flew down the canyon wind in my face. More than anything I wanted to be standing up out the sun roof and somehow drive too. Okay, I was getting carried away, I know. I came to the turn that would take me thru the dry creek. Hell, as I rounded the bend I could see water and lots of it flowing through were it had been dry for so long. I floored it and hit the water yelling all the way. Water came in all the windows and even the sun roof. Oh did it feel good. Joe just washed my Jeep and may not be as happy as I am but I had no choice. It was so freeing to just take off for a little while alone and feel the wind in my face. Picture is the road I turned on to take the long way home. It's our main intersection.

2 Comments:

Blogger Molly said...

Hi Debi,
I love this post. I almost feel like I am in the Jeep with you driving up the canyon and making a turn at the old dried up creek bed with the wind in my face listening to Steve Miller. Take care. I hope that your holiday is grand.

12:12 AM  
Blogger bichonpawz said...

VERY cool post! You took me along for the ride too!!

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home